Try doing a drop test on the toughest gadgets on the planet
Gadgets have evolved a lot, initially they were huge in sizes but went on to become smaller and smaller and now they are getting more and more evolved with the new technologies and user requirements. We know have gadgets that are dust proof, water proof etc etc but do you know there even exists devices and standards that make gadgets rough and tough.
Rugged IT is the hardware which is used in gadgets and is designed in such a way that they can operate even in harsh and critical environment conditions where normal devices would generally get damaged. Further the Rugged IT has three level so ruggedization :
- Semi Rugged Devices which have the regular type of hardware components but they are protected more than the usual devices.
- Fully Rugged Devices are ones which are designed to work in extreme temperature, with stand rocks and vibrations and even dust and water.
- Ultra Rugged Devices are toughest ones which are mostly used for military purposes and can with stand the hardest of conditions.
As discussed earlier these types of devices need to meet some standard in order to be called as hardcore tough rugged gadgets. Two main standards that must be met include Military Standards and IP certification.
- MIL-STD-810F Military Standard :
As per as the military standards issued in 1962 devices need to undergo a set of tests for qualifying sustainability for military operations.
Test includes stress stimulation from rain, humidity, fog, sand/ dust, shock, vibrations, temperature, pressure etc.
- IP Certification
IP Codes, (Ingress Protection) classify the level or degree of protection provided by the hardware from dust, water and impact.
Higher the IP code the higher is the tolerance to dust and water. For example a IP54 certified devices is less rugged and tough compared to an IP65 certified one.
Once the standards are met the devices can be classified as tough but still there are plenty of them as well. But not every one deserves to be mentioned here and hence here we have the some of the best toughest gadgets:
Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 MK3 ( Price : $5000)
- Among its various qualities ones that stand out includes, dust and dirt resistant display,keyboard and touchpad. All they have removable hard disk and a full magnesium alloy case with handle.
- The specification which makes it so tough includes a 6 feet drop rating, MIL-STD 810F military standard certification and IP65 certification.
Samsung Rugby SmartPhone (Price : $449)
- Next we have a hulk type smartphone from one of the top manufacturers in the world. Specs include a 3.7 inch super Amoled display and 4G connectivity.
- Toughness is measured by the fact that it can survive a 6.6 feet drop, withstand temperatures from -60 to more than 160 degree Fahrenheit, MIL STD 810F certification, shockproof, dustproof and water resistance up to 30 minutes.
Slava Tyukalov’s Custom USB Flash Drive (Price : $200)
- Don’t go with the size of the gadget, this USB fash drive comes with a titanium covered graphite/aluminium composite metal body and 1 0r 2 GB of storage capabilities.
- What makes it tough is the fact that it si waterproof, resistant to shock, vibrations and can even with stand pressure up to 2000 lbs.
Zypad WR1100 Wrist Computer (Price : $2000)
- Wearables are believed to be the next gen in technology and this one for sure is an tough contender. Specs include electronic compass, finger print scanner, GPS module, fibre glass magnesium alloy casing.
- The wrist computer meets military standards for protection against parameters like temperature, humidity, shock, and water etc.
Olympus TG-820 Digital Camera (Price : $299)
- For all those photography lovers Olympus has one camera which you can use in any situations. Features include 12 megapixel sensor and water resistance up to 33 feet.
- It can be literally dropped from a hight of up to 6.6 feet without getting damaged and can even survive 220 pounds of pressure and click in 14 degree Fahrenheit temperature.
Panasonic Gold SD Cards (Price : $30)
- If you use tough smartphones and camera then they must be accompanied by even tougher SD cards as well. Well this one with 8-64 GB of storage capabilities is an option.
- Toughness parameters includes waterproof, shock proof, magnet proof, Xray proof, resistance to extreme temperature and built in protection against power failures.
That’s all we have for you now but we will be back in future with some more interesting sub categories in gadgets domain which would surprise you with their existence. For now deal with these rugged and tough gadgets which takes the technology to whole lot new level of standard.